When Congress Gets Creative - The Selling of H-1B Legislation
Two new bills are being introduced in Congress to raise the cap on the number of H-1B visas. One would double the number initially and eventually triple the number of visas granted annually. The other takes the limit up to 195,000 in 2009.
Take the H-1B Legislation Naming Game!!!
Can you guess which legislation names are legit and which aren't?
- The Innovation Employment Act
- SUSTAIN - Strengthening U.S. Technology and Innovation Now
- Replacement Work Force
- Full Employment Act for Outsourcing and Global Competitiveness
- The North American Job Security and Economic Stimulus Act
- American Workers are Lazy, Uneducated and Ignorant of Technical Disciplines
The correct answers are the first two although numbers 4 & 5 could also work. The congress persons leading these efforts should be applauded for the creative names they've chosen. You'll notice that the bills are named around innovation as any name that would imply loss of jobs to offshore workers would be death to their political careers.
If you'd like to learn more about these bills (e.g., exactly who is sponsoring them and where they are from), please read: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Careers/Bills-Would-Double-and-Triple-H1B-Cap/ .